Most seniors have to adjust to having a lot of free time after reaching a certain age, and because the elderly need physical movement that match their ability, many states offer social, recreational, and physical activities, created especially for seniors. This is especially true in San Mateo, one of the places where numerous senior centers cater to the requirements of citizens who are sixty five years and older.
San Mateo Senior Center
The San Mateo Senior Center is known to host a mix of several activities. Almost every day, there can be a dozen activities happening from a history seminar to yoga classes, bingo and billiards. The facility even has chef prepared meals.
Regular Senior Center Programs:
- Bingo: the game is organized every Wednesday from two in the afternoon to four in the evening.
- Book Discussion Group: the group meets on every 2nd Tuesday at ten in the morning. There is no requirement for pre-registration to join the group. Drop-ins are welcome.
- Computer Lab Classes: regular computer classes are held at the center to expose the elderly to new technologies and to make them internet savvy.
- Movie and Lunch: on Thursdays at noon, all seniors are welcome to enjoy a movie with their friends while having hot dogs for lunch.
- Drop in Billiards: those interested in billiards can sharpen their game every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from one in the afternoon to four in the evening.
- Senior Center Band: from nine till eleven in the afternoon, every Friday, seniors can reconnect with their musical side with the help of band volunteers who encourage them to sing and play.
- Senior Center Chorus: on every Friday from ten till eleven in the afternoon, music lovers can get together to sing away with fellow mates.
The San Mateo Japanese Garden:
Apart from enjoying all the activities at the senior Center, the elderly can also visit attractions such as the Japanese Garden. The place is located at central park and is an extremely tranquil spot. The design and variety of flora found in the garden is breathtaking. Seniors can amble around in the garden to spend a day relaxing and enjoying nature.
The park is centrally located and boasts of a swarm of lovely gardens, and sports courts. There are also several restaurants nearby that offer a variety of cuisines. It is a great place to hold picnics and spend a day with family and friends.
This is a quiet and scenic beach located between Pescadores and Pomponio state parks. For seniors who love the sun, sea and sand, this is a great place to be.
Pigeon Point lighthouse:
Pigeon Point Lighthouse is believed to be one of the most striking lighthouses in the United States. The tower has been a landmark for approaching ships from the south for a very long time. It stands on a rocky promontory. It took its name from a ship named Carrier Pigeon that wrecked at this place in 1853.
San Mateo County boasts of a variety of services to support the requirements of aging adults and to assist in independent living. Apart from running senior centers, offering senior friendly parks and supporting several assisted living facilities, there are also discounted yellow cabs that run to and from several cities to help the elderly travel. These yellow cabs, if hired from reputed transportation providers, are extremely safe and well maintained. Drivers of these vehicles are well versed with the shortest routes and the best places to go. One of the best ways to find out about these facilities is to look for them online. Most providers have websites depicting their rates and contact information.